CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY —- members of the Protected Area Management Board (PAMB) across the regions in Mindanao gathered for the 3rd Mindanao PAMB Network Conference with its theme, “Sustained Biodiversity for a Progressive Mindanao” on September 18-20, 2018 at Chali Beach Resort, Cugman, Cagayan de Oro City.
The 3rd Mindanao PAMB Network Conference is an avenue for the Mindanao PAMB members to share and exchange knowledge, experiences, and expertise on how to make their PAMB functional and sustainably manage their protected areas for the betterment of the stakeholders and communities benefitting from the protected area. The event was divided into six (6) thematic areas with buzz group discussions and open fora: Theme 1: PAMB Functionality; Theme 2: Stakeholders/Community Participation in PA Management; Theme 3: Strengthening PAMB Capacities in PA Management; Theme 4: Resource Generation and Mobilization; Theme 5: Moving Up Towards International Recognition, and; Theme 6: Mindanao PAMB Network Sustainability Mechanisms.
This year’s conference was hosted by the DENR Office – Region X led by Regional Executive Director and the Chairperson of the Mindanao PAMB Network, Arleigh J. Adorable, CESO III. Supported by the GIZ- Conflict Sensitive Resource and Asset Management (COSERAM) program, the Provincial Government of Misamis Oriental and the Bukidnon State University were partners of this conference.
The Milestone of Mindanao PAMB Network
“(Dr. Felix S. Mirasol, Jr.) Felix, shared his vision of bringing the PAMBs closer together by fostering collaboration and exchange as well as strengthening the capacities of the PAMBs in Mindanao. This vision seemed like quite a tall order, yet we jointly decided to take up the challenge of promoting more inclusive and collaborative conservation efforts in Mindanao.”
Nicole Bendsen, GIZ-COSERAM Chief Advisor, said on her opening remarks.
First Conference. The initial step was an invitation to the protected areas all over Mindanao to a gathering focused on assessing the strength and challenges PA are facing. A great number of interested PAs attended and this became the commencement of the Mindanao PAMB Network.
Second Conference. Held in Butuan City in September 2017, the Mindanao PAMB Network has established its name as a strong network thereby revealed its vision, mission, goals, and objectives.
Third Conference. Held in Cagayan de Oro in September 2018. The Mindanao PAMB Executive Committee took a pledge in performing their duties to sustain the efforts of the Network.
Nuggets of Wisdom:
The knowledge and wisdom of the speakers cut across all regions and displayed an inspiration for others to replicate best practices and gearing out for more to achieve only the best for their respective Protected Areas.
In sustaining the biodiversity, the participants highlighted their learning for the thematic areas. A few on the list of significant learnings are:
- There is a wide latitude of innovation and strategies to enhance the sustainability of the PAMB.
- Convergence of all stakeholders through commitment, linkages, and policy legislation
- Networking not only by own region but in Mindanao is an effective mechanism to reflect strategies to protect and preserve our PAs
- Social mobilization and respect for IP rights
- Participatory consultative empowerment
The challenge ahead of the Mindanao PAMB Network is to embrace the journey as an established network and pursue the goals and objectives. How? These are the highlights of Dr. Felix S. Mirasol, Jr., OIC Asst. Regional Director for Management Services of DENR-Region X, on his talk:
- Sustain the capability building of protected areas
- Continue sharing of knowledge and good practices among Mindanao PAMBs
- Access financial support for the Operation of the Mindanao PAMB Network
- Mindanao Pas to formulate Resource Use Fee System
- Work for international recognition of Mindanao Pas
- Sustain partnership and linkage with academe and other support institution
- Sustain advocacy and increase awareness on the Mindanao PAMB Network
And, looking forward to the 4th Mindanao PAMB Network Conference!